Peer-Reviewed Articles in English
- Chong Chen and Kyle Beardsley, “Once and Future Peacemakers: Continuity of Third-Party Involvement in Civil War Peace Processes,” International Peacekeeping, Online first, 2020, pp. 1-27.
- Kaitlyn Webster, Priscilla Torres, Chong Chen, and Kyle Beardsley, “Ethnic and Gender Hierarchies in the Crucible of War,” International Studies Quarterly, Vol. 64, No. 3, 2020, pp. 710–722.
- Kaitlyn Webster, Chong Chen, and Kyle Beardsley, “Conflict, Peace, and the Evolution of Women’s Empowerment,” International Organization, Vol. 73, No. 2, 2019, pp.255-289.
- Chong Chen, “Territorial Dispute Initiation by Weaker States,” The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol. 11. No. 3, 2018, pp.339-372.
Peer-Reviewed Articles in Chinese (Selected)
- Chong Chen, “Armed Conflict and Women’s Empowerment: Evidence from Two Natural Experiments,” Journal of International Security Studies (国际安全研究), Forthcoming.
- PDF, Replication Data, Online Appendix
- Xun Pang and Chong Chen, “The Hirschman Effect of International Finance Ties,” World Economics and Politics (世界经济与政治), No. 6, 2020, pp. 132-155.
- Chong Chen and Xun Pang, “Predicting the Timing and Location of Terrorist Attacks in Africa in the Age of Big Data: Combing GIS and Split Population Duration Models,” Foreign Affairs Review (外交评论), No. 2, 2020, pp. 121-154.
- Chong Chen, “Rethinking Opportunity, Greed, Grievance and Internal Conflict: A Spatio-Temporal Analysis of African Political Violence,” World Economics and Politics (世界经济与政治), No. 8, 2018, pp. 94-127.
- “The Grass is Always Greener on the Other Side: Transnational Ethnic Inequality and Ethno-nationalist Conflict”, with Kyle Beardsley and Nils B. Weidmann
- Presented at SPSA 2018
- “The Contagion of Foreign Policy Change: Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Chinese Leadership Visits (1978-2014),” with Feng Liu
- Presented at MPSA 2015, ISA 2015
- “Do Birds of a Feather Flock Together? Rebel Constituencies and Civil War Alliances,” with Laia Balcells and Costantino Pischedda
- “Interstate Hostility, Transborder Ethnic Kin, and the Onset of Civil War”
- Presented at Peace Science 2018
“Ethnic Diversity, Local Competition, and Separatist Conflicts”
“In the Shadow of Rebellion: The Intrastate Diffusion of Ethnic Inclusion”
- “Network Dependence and the Diffusion of Territorial Dispute Claims”, with So Jin Lee and David Siegel
- Presented at ISA 2018
- “Mediating post-Civil War Peace: Third Parties in the Design and Implementation of Civil War Peace Settlements”, with Colin Flint
- Presented at MPSA 2014